Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Eager Expectations

We recently celebrated of our first anniversary and are now increasingly excited at the approach of the baby's due date. These events have brought some reflections upon the nature of "eager expectations" to my mind. I mean the breathless wonderful waiting for a thing to happen; something you have longed after and hoped for and now is finally soon to be. Since within the last year and a half of my life I have gone from being single to married and an expectant mother, the events of becoming married and a mother have been my "eager expectations".

I remember as the date of our wedding drew closer how the longing and delight to be with my (then) fiancee became greater and greater. I knew when I should be united with him, but the fact that I wasn't yet weighed upon me so that whenever we were apart I did not feel "whole" -as though some piece of me was missing. The day of our wedding could not come soon enough.

Now, I am increasingly longing for our baby to be born. Not only because I am increasingly uncomfortable, but because I want to meet the little person -to know who it is, not just that it is. Unlike waiting for my wedding, I have no idea when this little person shall appear. It could be tomorrow, or it could be another week and a half.

These "eager expectations" remind me of how Scripture encourages us to long and wait for Christ. Like a bride waiting for her bridegroom and feeling so pointedly his absence, so are we to fervently desire to be with Christ and notice His absence. For not until we are with Him in paradise we will truly feel "unified" with Him and as a "whole" self. Similar to waiting for a baby, we do not know when He will come -day or night. A bride (usually, hopefully!) "knows" her bridegroom. She can recognize him and trusts him when he says he will show up at their wedding. Even so with Christ; we do trust that He will come back even as He said He would (John 14). At the same time, like with a unborn child, we do not know exactly what He shall be like when we actually get to see him.

Of course the comparison can only go so far before becoming absurd. Still, I remember wondering during my engagement if the weight of longing had any other purpose(s) than to sometimes be a little trying. Yet again, God shows how He uses events in our lives for a purpose.
I hope this encourages you during those times when we must wait (often seemingly unnecessarily) for a good thing. Not only do we look forward with excitement to the blessing of special events, but our times of "waiting" also bring blessings -the blessing of eagerly expecting the return of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

"And if I go and prepare a place for you,
I will come again,
and receive you unto myself; that where I am,
there ye may be also."
John 14:3

3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful!! Thank you!
    Love, Kara

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been on my heart.. been praying for you (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now the waiting is over! Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete