Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Secret of the Morn

I must confess I have not heretofore understood free verse. I had always thought that this kind of poetry could be written as prose and sound just as eloquent. But for the first time, I am stuck with words to write that will not form into prose, nor have I the desired vocabulary to rhyme. And so, you are left reading prosaic phrases in poetic form.

The Secret of the Morn

I pull back the curtain to watch the sunrise.
My restless spirit resonates
With the gray scene before my eyes.
"Chirp, Chirp," I hear a little bird.
A small flock of robins have made the tree their rest.
I sit and wonder at the little birds;
Their spirit undampened by the dampness all around.
Merrily they chirp and hop about.
"It's morning! It's morning," they call to one another
Oh! little bird with sunrise on your breast!
What secret of the morning have you found?
They cock their heads in a puzzled way.
And then they begin to sing.
Singing, the secret of the morn.

1 comment:

  1. Isaiah 24:15a -"Therefore glorify the Lord in the dawning light..." This, I think, is exactly what the little birds do with their early morning songs. A task I hope I can learn to do as cheerily as the birds.

    ReplyDelete